AI for Citizens
Demystify AI for the public and community.
Why AI for Citizens?
Governments are creating comprehensive national AI strategies to develop a sustainable, inclusive and positive impact on their citizens, industries and overall societies. However, the AI skill gap is recognized as the most significant barrier for wider AI adoption. Public awareness and understanding of AI remain low. Public surveys often show that AI knowledge is based mainly on hype and speculations. For example, a recent UK survey shows that 37% of the public doesn’t even fully understand the term AI. Hence, there is an urgent need to demystify and democratize AI through appropriate public awareness programs to foster a correct understanding of the benefits and limitations of AI.
- AI Awareness: Build an elementary understanding of AI and its potentials and pitfalls.
- AI Appreciation: Gain introductory knowledge of the common domains of AI and its related issues and start building personal learning plans.
- General public with non-technical background that has digital access and want to know about AI. The program is not meant to replace any formal workforce preparation, education or skilling program.
- Intuitive and interactive content: 4 hours of self-paced, micro-learning content, to engage the public for developing initial awareness and understanding of AI in a non technical way.
- Open educational content: Full content to be available as Open Resources for government or implementation partner to host and offer to the public.
- MOOCs style implementation: Fully self-navigable content. Additional guidance or coach-led facilitation not required.
- Customized digital badges: Two digital badges offered (AI-Aware and AI-Appreciate) as recognition of completion of different levels of learnings. Badges are awarded after successful completion of a quiz at the end of each section. Badges are shareable and printable.
- Inclusiveness: Suitable for all ages, with examples that are location agnostic for broad applicability across the globe.
- Local Hosting: Content hosting allowed on customer’s choice of local platform through SCORM packages.
- Customized to country needs: Co-branding with government or implementation partner for all learning resources and badges to suit local country requirements
- Local outreach and simple program management: Implementation partners have full freedom for an outreach campaign, local program management for local scaling and sustenance.
- AI Aware badge: Awareness of AI and its common application. Understanding of common misconceptions around AI and why they exist.
- AI Appreciate badge: Appreciation of three different AI domains and common concerns associated with AI (ethics and biases) and creation of a personal learning plan.
Singapore Institute of Technical Education rolls out a national public AI awareness program
Singapore is a world leader in innovation with an ambitious 2030 vision to lead developing and deploying scalable, impactful AI solutions in key sectors of high value and relevance to its citizens and businesses. It recognizes the role of citizens to achieve that vision and seeks ways to create awareness and appreciation of AI among citizens. Hence, Singapore's Institute of Technical Education (ITE) has collaborated with Intel to roll out a nationwide public AI awareness. ITE is a government institution of higher learning and a principal provider of career and technical education that prepares Singapore for the future economy. As of June 21, 2021, more than 1,300 people have completed the learning.
Mona Cheah, Taman Jurong Active Aging Committee
Government of Singapore
"The program was simple enough for a non-techie like me to understand. I liked the practical examples of how AI is being used in the real world. This set the context for me. This program has helped demystify AI for me."
Khah Gek Low, Institute of Technical Education (ITE)
Government of Singapore
"AI for Citizens is a well-designed course with engaging and motivating features. I was captivated by the illustrations of AI in everyday life and industries as well as the principles to ensure responsible and proper use of AI. I am sure your experience with AI for Citizens will be fascinating and rewarding."