Case Study: Connecting Vietnam's Orphans Using Classmate PCs
Orphan Impact uses Intel-powered classmate PCs to expand the horizons of children in Vietnamese orphanages.
Less than 10 percent of all Vietnamese students end up going to a university, and rates are lower than 1 percent among children in the country’s 153 orphanages. Coordinators of the Orphan Impact* program hope to change that by using Intel-powered classmate PCs to expose the children to a world of new possibilities.
• Provide new opportunities for disenfranchised children. Children in Vietnam’s orphanages are looked after until they turn 18. However, it is difficult for the isolated children to connect with the outside world and imagine the possibilities their future could hold. Given a lack of formal training and incentives, few end up at a university or with rewarding professional careers.
• Instill ICT skills early on. Scarce resources mean most of the orphans in the system have never even used a computer, much less received the kind of training that will equip them for the modern workforce.
• Foster a technology teaching culture. Teachers often do not have the skills to deliver effective ICT training. Orphan Impact’s organizers aim to provide the tools and training to foster a self-perpetuating culture that makes ICT an intrinsic part of the orphan care system.
• Classmate PCs in orphanages. Orphan Impact’s pilot program saw five Intel-powered classmate PCs provided to each of five Vietnamese orphanages. Children shared the computers in small groups that gave them hands-on training using the Internet and software applications.
• Find friends across the world. Through a sister-school program with five schools in the United States, the orphans used classmate PCs for regular videoconferencing and production of short videos to talk, share, and learn about other cultures.
• Support local teaching. To ensure the program fostered lasting change, Orphan Impact and Intel Education Service Corps volunteers focused on empowering local teachers with sustainable ICT knowledge.
Read the full Connecting Vietnam's Orphans Using Classmate PCs Case Study.