Intel® Microarchitecture based on 32nm
Intel® microarchitecture based on 32nm is an incredible leap in processor integration and manufacturing. Introduced in the 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processor family, some of the highlights of this new microarchitecture include:
- Manufactured entirely on Intel® 32nm process technology, delivering yet another leap in performance and energy efficiency beyond previous generation process technologies.
- All cores plus graphics are integrated on a single chip, enabling new levels of visual experiences on a PC.
- Even more performance boost when you need it with Intel® Turbo Boost 2.0.
- Yet another step in increased efficiency by intelligently matching performance to workloads, while optimizing power efficiency across cores and graphics engine.
Fully integrated microarchitecture
Intel® microarchitecture based on 32nm unifies processor cores, memory controller, last-level cache (LLC), and graphics and media processing. Such tight integration enables a host of performance and efficiency improvements, such as:
- Fast access by cores and graphics to shared data in the last-level cache accelerates graphics processing.
- Fewer buses over which data and signaling must travel mean faster processing.
- More memory bandwidth for the cores boosts system performance.
Smart performance boosts for graphics and media processing
2nd Generation Intel® Core™ processors with built-in visuals1 are optimized for next-generation media workloads. New technologies include:
- A much more powerful graphics engine than previous Intel microarchitectures speeds 3D and video processing.
- New hardware-based media accelerators and graphics execution units deliver superior performance for gaming, HD video content, and 3D graphics.
- New technologies that allow you to truly enjoy all your HD content and web experiences.
Dynamic performance for both processor and graphics
Intelligent power management with Intel® Turbo Boost 2.02 dynamically controls performance and power—for both cores and graphics—boosting performance exactly where and when it is needed, and saving energy when it counts.
Design scalability for a wide range of markets
2nd Generation Intel® Core™ processors address servers, workstations, notebooks, and desktop segments with support for two to eight or more cores and up to sixteen or more threads with Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology (Intel® HT Technology)3. This new microarchitecture also enables thinner form factors, improved battery life, and active energy efficiency for mobile computing applications.
Double the FLOPS, and more
Compute intensive applications get a boost with Intel® Advanced Vector Extensions (Intel® AVX), a new, 256 bit instruction set extension to Intel® SSE. Intel AVX along with new Advanced Encryption Standard (AES), operating system, and virtual machine manager (VMM) enhancements extend the architecture for important new applications.